The Ancoats Hospital was a large inner-city hospital, located in Ancoats, to the north of Manchester, England, city centre. The hospital was built in 1873 to serve the densely-populated districts of north and east Manchester.
The hospital had five wards: Brackenbury was the children’s ward, where the patients were mainly in for minor operations such as removal of tonsils and adenoids. More serious childhood problems were treated at Booth Hall Children’s hospital in Blackley. Gaddum and Johnson wards were a pair of surgical wards; men on one ward and women on the other. There were also two orthopaedic wards, called Thompson and Armitage.
In addition to the operating theatre, dispensary and outpatients, Ancoats hospital had one of the busiest casualty departments in Manchester, despite the small size of the hospital – this was due to its proximity to the city centre and the high population of the terraced streets around which served the many mills that drove the Industrial Revolution.
Located between Old Mill Street and the Ashton Canal, the history remaining Dispensary building, which is grade II listed, remains under the threat of demolition in 2012.